30 June 2019

What have these games in common?



STOP!

Resist the urge to scroll down to find the answer!

Think!

Hummm….

Some have buildings, and construction works, but not all of them.
The same goes for people and professions, present in more than half.
Past, present, and maybe future. Some diversity time wise.
Only two appear to be environmentally focused.
Guess we can rule out a common theme.

Different authors.
Nationalities.
Game mechanisms.
Even cover languages!

Days of Wonder.
Blue Orange.
Cranio Creations.
Studio Bombyx.
A set of different publishers.

Any more guesses?

Well, there is, at least, one common element, one common person, linking all these together.

Time is running out!

5 …
4 …
3 …
2 …
1 …

And here she is!


Sabrina Miramon, the artist for those seven games, and our guest for today.

I think I first came across Sabrina’s work through Photosynthesis, a game designed by Hjalmar Hach and released in 2017.

The impressive cover drew my attention, with the combination of light and shades, the small surrounded tree bathed in sunlight, the matching title. Opening the box, the lively tree colours and the seed parts cranked it up a notch, and the very concept behind the game did the rest. It was a quick buy!

You can read some more about this game in here.

Photosynthesis cover, final version

Afterwards, I was looking into Dice Hospital, curious about the handling of the theme, just to find out that the very same artist, in a rather different take.

Well, I decided to give it a go.

A quick search, an interview request, a bunch of questions and Sabrina’s kind and prompt reply, sharing some insights into her worlds.


Which one did come first in your life: illustration or games, and board games or videogames?
Definitely videogames, I started playing them from a very young age. Illustration came up way later in my life.

When and how did illustration met games, and how has this relation evolved? 
One of my first job as an artist was making assets for an online RPG [role playing game], and then doing backgrounds for an animation series. My first board game “job” would be 6 years later. Now I can say that for the last 3 years, boardgames are probably my main specialty.

Miscellaneous characters 

What place do you now award to boardgames and videogames?
I’m an avid gamer so video games are still a big part of my life. I try to play boardgames whenever I can with friends and whenever I go to conventions. But work takes most of my time lately.

Is it possible to make a living illustrating board games?
It is possible to some extent, but it is very hard. Sadly, this is an industry that doesn’t have the same budget as Hollywood. Illustrating board games is not my only activity, I do other creative work as well but being a freelance artist can be a struggle. It’s a lot of work, countless hours, sleepless nights, but I’m happy I can do something I enjoy.

Boardgames seem to be in an upward trend, in terms of new games being created, enhanced visibility, more funding, and an increase in the importance accorded to visuals (illustrations, miniatures, add-ons). That may mean both more work opportunities, as well as more competition and more pressure (specifications, time, budget). What’s your take on this?
There’s definitely more opportunities workwise, and a little more pressure because of shorter deadlines. More publications means more competition as well. I think publishers now put more importance towards the look of their games, whereas a few years ago artwork didn’t matter as much. This is one way you can make your product stand out from the rest.

How early in the process do you usually start to work (raw idea, prototype, fully developed mechanics)?
Most of the time I start work once the mechanics are in place and the client knows exactly what assets are needed. Artwork and graphic design are one of the last steps before the game gets sent to printing.

Photosynthesis, sketches for the trees

Photosynthesis, sketches for the cover

Do you need, or prefer to have, a feel for the actual playing, before starting the creative process? 
I prefer to know how the game works so I can figure out how the artwork will play out. Sometimes I get sent a print and play version, photos of the prototype or a video showing the game and mechanics.

Do you get to play most (any) of the games you illustrate?
I play the ones I illustrate once I receive a retail copy :)

Have you a kind of standard approach? Where does inspiration come from?
I like to do some research on the subject, then do sketches (sometimes several iterations), send it for approval and once approved, I work on the rendering/final version of the illustration. Inspiration comes from many things, art, other games, movies, books, it really depends on the subject I’m working on.

Illustration process, buildings for Little Town

Is it more of a solitaire work or a cooperative one, with game designers, publishers, other illustrators?
It’s mostly solitaire work, I’m a contractor hired to do one specific job.

Is there a “typical” duration (or range) for a project?
Not really, it all depends on the amount of work required, the number of projects I’m working on simultaneously, the release date. It’s always around a few weeks, sometimes more.

What are the main challenges usually faced?
The biggest challenge for me, apart from doing the best job I can, is the technical aspect of illustrating a game. I need to consider how the painting on my monitor will translate to the printed version, because printing on card or paper will alter the brightness of my colours.

Did you ever had an impact, during your work, in a game design (rules change, different parts, …)?
Not really, I’m not usually involved in the development of a game until the art is needed. Sometimes when something seems off visually, I’ll bring it up, but I’m definitely not a game designer :)

Illustrating board and video games must be substantially different,  namely concerning “still” vs “moving” characters and landscapes. What are the main differences? And what do you enjoy more in each one?
I’ve actually never made an animation in my life, my work in both industries always was “still” images, so I’m afraid I can’t really answer that. But I do love both equally, although I like that my work in boardgames is usually short-term, I never get bored.

What makes you smile, while working on games?
Realizing I’m really privileged to do a job that I love in one of the greatest industries. I feel so lucky.

Any new projects in the making?
A few boardgames coming up before the end of the year, starting a new project soon. I’d love to work on my own indie video game with my husband, as soon as we both get the time :)

Upcoming projects

And now a quick quizz about games!

Name an “oldie” that sticks to your memory or even that you still play.
I used to love Risk! Haven’t played in so long…

The last one you played.
A few games of Jungle Speed

The next one to be probably played / wishing to play.
I’d love to get my hands on the Enigma Box, I love puzzles.

A game you love art-wise.
So many great looking game to choose from! One of the latest that I like is Root.

A videogame you like.
Metal Gear Solid.

Your favourite colour.
Orange.

Ely, UK. Photo by James Billings

And that’s all from Ely, UK.
Thanks Sabrina!

To know more about Sabrina's work, go to https://sabou.uk/.
All images courtesy of Sabrina Miramon.

No comments:

Post a Comment